The President of Mali, Ibrahim Boubacar Keita, resigned late on Tuesday just hours after armed soldiers seized him from his home in a dramatic power grab following months of protests demanding his removal from the position.
In the crisis of the country, we have prayer requests from our ministry partner in Mali.
Good morning all,
Mali has just experienced the fourth military coup in its history this day 08/18/2020. The military put an end to the much-contested regime of President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita. This takeover by the army came after several civil society organized protests under the aegis of the M5 RFP movement led by the politician Iman Mahmoud Dicko. These protests resulted in the deaths of 23 people on July 10, 11 and 12, 2020.
The causes of these demonstrations were among others, poor governance, family management of state affairs, rampant insecurity and under-equipment of the army, economic problems with strikes in almost all sectors of the public service and recently, rigged legislative elections with arbitration by a partial constitutional court in the pay of the power in place.
One thing that is certain, is that the arrest of President IBK and the dissolution of all state institutions have been widely welcomed by the population. The military was applauded by the people on their way up to Kati (their base) with ex-president IBK as the spoils of war.
A page in the history of Mali has just been turned. The IBK era is gone but Mali must live, Mali must exist. The people hope for a better future. We want a peaceful Mali and our expectation is to see all social layers join hands to build a prosperous, united and strong country.
The ideals of Malians cannot be realized without the involvement of God in the affairs of the country. Therefore, we ask for your prayers for the emergence of a new generation of men and women who have the fear of God in them and who will be used to accomplish the will of God in the country.
1. Pray for a rapid normalization of the socio-political situation in the country. The military has promised to set up a civilian transitional authority that will lead to general elections within a reasonable time.
2. Pray for the choice of men and women who will lead this transition. May God inspire their choice so that they are instruments for the fulfilment of the Divine will in Mali.
3. Pray for the church in this troubled time in the country where the economy is severely affected by the COVID-19 crisis, and now by the border closures following this military coup. May God strengthen his church and continue to provide for his people.
4. Pray for social cohesion and peace in the country and that all social layers adhere to the transitional process that will be put in place for a happy outcome of the crisis in the country. Pray that the secular status of the country be maintained and any idea of establishing an Islamist state in Mali be annihilated.
5. Pray for the safety of God’s people in Mali. May the hand of God cover over all his children and protect them against all collateral consequences of this crisis. Pray for our ministry: may the Lord give us the grace to continue to serve his church during these difficult times.
6. Pray for Mali’s technical and financial partners for the rapid restoration of economic, financial and commercial relations that existed between them.
Your brother in Christ